Sheffield City Hall Enews
A Greener City Hall - Energy & Environmental Policy
Sheffield International Venues Ltd is a company that prides itself on its Energy Awareness.
Recently SIV have received a glowing report following a government audit of the environmental impact and energy efficiency of its public buildings. As part of the process, venues are examined and awarded Display Energy Certificates (DECs) on a scale of A to G, where A is flawless for energy management systems and employment of the latest energy saving technologies. Sheffield City Hall which constructed before energy efficiency was a pressing concern achieved a B rating in this audit.
There are many Energy Saving Initiatives that are currently undertaken at Sheffield City Hall;
- Reducing Waste: We currently recycle both front of house and in our offices. You will find recycling bins through out the venue for plastic, paper and glass and we recycle toner cartridges in all our office spaces.
- Full building management system control; this controls the whole venue and allows the facilities team to monitor expenditure & energy use. As an example we have a number of fridges that supply bar areas that are automatically turned off at night.
- Energy saving lamps are in use and deliver immediate savings in electricity consumption of up to 70 per cent, while generating measured light levels that were equal to and often brighter than the lamps they replaced. The low power has also reduced the burden on the electrical infra-structure (e.g minimal heat =reduction in air conditioning consumption)
- We have a district heating scheme (Sheffield) for all our heat, so we make sure rooms/areas are not heated when there are no events in that particular space.
- All the City Hall's external lighting is on timers
There are no excuses for sitting back and assuming that the responsibility for reducing energy lies with the governments and businesses alone. Everyone can do their bit to help!
If you have any energy saving ideas please complete our online form.